We have one founding father… God. And he had millions of children. Children of all different shapes, sizes, backgrounds. His children were as tall as buildings with long spiky tails, and short as wisps with multiple legs. He has children that are labeled on a food chart, and he has children that sit atop this chart.
We have Dads. Each Dad is a product of God’s love. Each Dad is one of God’s children. Each Dad was made in the image of God (“So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” Genesis 1:27). God does not sit there and judge his children as fat or thin. Yet, in the bible God does talk to his male children and sets a goal for them as Fathers…
- The righteous man walks in his integrity; his children are blessed after him. Proverbs 20:7 NKJV
- A wise son maketh a glad father. Proverbs 10:1
- Fifth Commandment: Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. Exodus 20:12
- My son, obey your father’s commands, and don’t neglect your mother’s teaching. Proverbs 6:20
- Fathers, don’t aggravate your children. If you do, they will become discouraged and quit trying. Colossians 3:21
- My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in. Proverbs 3:11-12
- Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesian 6:4
- Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church? He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap. A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well. 1 Timothy 3:2-7, 12
God has given man, Fathers, so much to consider in the lives of those they touch. They have the responsibility in God’s land to protect, provide, and nurture his children. He is the leader. He is the human connection to first introduce the values with which God wants all his children to live. Fathers have the duty to inspire their children to carry God’s values as they grow up and eventually become an adult in our society. It is in pride that through a child’s father he will carry on with his learnings to become the teacher of his own children.
Could you imagine what would happen if God suddenly said, “I have enough children and I will take no more,”? Not that we, as a society, should make the same decision, as we are not God, but to wonder… to ponder the simple notion that God should actually say enough. Would that be the beginning of the end (the apocalypse)? There are those out there, in the land of imagination, that actually made a movie about the Father, our heavenly host, God, saying no more children (Children of Men – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/) though they link God with science.
For my husband, and I, we have found the understanding that God is in science as he is in everything else. My husband is a three time Dad, and though he says enough is enough, he sees each child as a blessing. For that I am thankful that the Lord has worked his magic in his heart. I hope that with all our Father’s they see the magic that God can work, the value with God’s love and teachings, in raising their children.
Happy Father’s Day. And to leave you I would like to share some inspirational quotes just for you (not biblically related):