I had no idea this was even something under consideration. Before you get into the rest of today’s blog, go to Mosque at Ground Zero to read the entire story. Be sure to scroll all the way down to the bottom to read viewer’s comments. I am always interested and amazed by what people have to say.
So, after reading the article, you know there are plans to build at mosque at Ground Zero. Well, technically, it’s not at the site of where the twin towers once stood, but several blocks away. Some see it as a “slap in the face” to those who died that day. Others, like board member Rob Townley, see it “as a seed of peace. We believe that this is significant step in the Muslim community to counteract the hate and fanaticism in the minority of the community.”
Also, according to the article, “the organizations sponsoring the project say they’re trying to meet a growing need for prayer space in lower Manhattan, as well as provide a venue for the dissemination of mainstream Islam, to counter extremism.”
One comment posted stated “we need to remember that not all Muslims are terrorists, not all Catholic priests are child molesters.” Commentor Cardhu1 stated, “Many people understand so little of the violently radical fundamental Islamists conducting Jihad are at war not just with the west, but also with all other cultures that do not share their crazed murderous views, including moderate Islam. These violently radical fundamental Islamists comprise about 10% of the world. It’s up to the other 90% of the world to stand up to these crazed fanatics and assert that their murderous agenda has no place in our present and future. A mosque at ground zero is a very powerful symbol of world unity. Add in a synagogue and a non-denominational Christian church and you have a clear statement for the whole rest of the world – we all stand for peace and against murder in the name of the God we share.”
And then there is the other segment who believe the whole “to-do” simply comes down to the fact that an old building that may have landmark status will be torn down in order to build this mosque.
I have to say that my first reaction to this was a definite “No!” This was also the reaction of two other people I know who read the article. I am still turning it all over in my mind, though. I think we should all make an effort to learn about the basics of any religion. Having said that, I will admit that I haven’t taken the time to do just that. I also think we should take a stand against the “fanatic fringes” of any religion. While I would expect to hear more denouncements from “mainstream Islamists” against all terrorist attacks, do we as Christians really voice strong comments or reactions, or take action when a “Christian fanatic” commits a violent act?
Maybe Ground Zero or anywhere near that immediate area is not the right place for this prayer space. But I think Cardhu1 had an idea worth thinking about – “add in a synagogue and a non-denominational Christian church and you have a clear statement for the whole rest of the world – we all stand for peace and against murder.”
What do you think?